Platform 1 Model Railway Community Home 


Welcome to Platform1mrc.com
Thank you for taking the time to browse the forum, if you would like to participate in any of the discussions.
Registration is only a click away Register Here.

 Moderated by: Toto
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Isle of Man Steam Railway (July 2017)
AuthorPost
 Posted: 2 Aug 2017 13:23
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
David Hennessey
Member


Joined: 28 Feb 2016
Location: St Helens, United Kingdom
Posts: 145
Status: 
Online
Yours truly has recently been on his jollies. Where have you been, I hear you ask? That wee rock in the Irish Sea, known of course as the Isle of Man.

Last week (24th to 31st July 2017), I was over there to attend the annual Manx Transport Festival event, with an array of activities going on over the island's main rail transport systems. I've got a lot of snaps taken throughout the week, and I'm going to share them with you all here.

In this case, we're looking at the 13 mile, 3ft gauge Isle of Man Steam Railway, that runs from Douglas to Port Erin via Port Soderick, Santon, Ballasalla, Castletown, Ballabeg, Colby and Port St Mary.

This thread shows the railway's stalwart Beyer Peacock 2-4-0 tank engines in action throughout the week, including a photography evening at Douglas station.































































YouTube footage to follow shortly. Comments welcomed as always.



____________________
David Hennessey

General Manager of the Fablewood Railway Company, est 2015
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: 2 Aug 2017 13:34
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Ron
Moderator


Joined: 5 Dec 2015
Location: Newark On Trent, United Kingdom
Posts: 1783
Status: 
Online
Really good photo's David, many thanks. 
I went to the IoM in 1968 for the TT races and didn't know about the railway then!!
Ron



____________________
Lincolnshire Yellowbelly
Flickr address: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ron_777/
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: 2 Aug 2017 13:52
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
David Hennessey
Member


Joined: 28 Feb 2016
Location: St Helens, United Kingdom
Posts: 145
Status: 
Online
Ron wrote: Really good photo's David, many thanks. 
I went to the IoM in 1968 for the TT races and didn't know about the railway then!!
Ron

Thanks Ron. Very funny you should mention 1968, as that was the year when the Peel and Ramsey lines closed; 2018 will mark 50 years since it happened...



____________________
David Hennessey

General Manager of the Fablewood Railway Company, est 2015
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: 2 Aug 2017 13:57
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Ron
Moderator


Joined: 5 Dec 2015
Location: Newark On Trent, United Kingdom
Posts: 1783
Status: 
Online
Blimey, 50 years ago!! Feeling ancient now :giggle:



____________________
Lincolnshire Yellowbelly
Flickr address: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ron_777/
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: 2 Aug 2017 14:24
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
SMR CHRIS
Ozzy Rubber Gauger


Joined: 1 Jan 2016
Location: Central Coast NSW, Australia
Posts: 2206
Status: 
Offline
Really great photos David thanks for sharing
They are very nice looking locos and they looks in top notch condition.



____________________
Happy Modelling down under
Chris

My Current model railway topic link
http://platform1mrc.com/view_topic.php?id=227&forum_id=5
My Flickr photo album
https://www.flickr.com/photos/74212179@N05/
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: 2 Aug 2017 14:39
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
David Hennessey
Member


Joined: 28 Feb 2016
Location: St Helens, United Kingdom
Posts: 145
Status: 
Online
SMR CHRIS wrote: Really great photos David thanks for sharing
They are very nice looking locos and they looks in top notch condition.

Thanks Chris!



____________________
David Hennessey

General Manager of the Fablewood Railway Company, est 2015
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: 2 Aug 2017 15:28
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
jakesdad13
Professional grumpy old git


Joined: 14 Dec 2015
Location: Chesterfield Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 1308
Status: 
Offline
Great photos David :thumbs:, like Ron, when I used to go to the TT races, every year from '79 to '89, the steam railway was always on the to do list, its good to see that Douglas station hasn't changed much, apart from the addition of the conservatory, though that looks in keeping with the rest of the building.
The other ride I always took was the tram to Ramsey, seemed to take for ever, the station at Laxey was always busy with folk going to the Laxey Wheel, "Lady Isabella" I think its called.
I also went on a very narrow gauge railway, Groudle Glen railway if I remember right, I believe it has been extended since then, not sure, it was behind the Groudle Glen hotel, a busy venue TT week!

We used to watch the racing at Ballaugh Bridge, just to the back of the main drag through the town, the railway ran alongside the road, and there was an abandoned bridge, the track had been lifted, and we used to take our lives in our hands crossing it to get to better viewing points ;).

Thanks mate, you've rekindled some great memories for me :thumbs:. Cheer's, Pete.       



____________________
I found it, honest guv!
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: 2 Aug 2017 15:36
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
David Hennessey
Member


Joined: 28 Feb 2016
Location: St Helens, United Kingdom
Posts: 145
Status: 
Online
jakesdad13 wrote: Great photos David :thumbs:, like Ron, when I used to go to the TT races, every year from '79 to '89, the steam railway was always on the to do list, its good to see that Douglas station hasn't changed much, apart from the addition of the conservatory, though that looks in keeping with the rest of the building.
The other ride I always took was the tram to Ramsey, seemed to take for ever, the station at Laxey was always busy with folk going to the Laxey Wheel, "Lady Isabella" I think its called.
I also went on a very narrow gauge railway, Groudle Glen railway if I remember right, I believe it has been extended since then, not sure, it was behind the Groudle Glen hotel, a busy venue TT week!

We used to watch the racing at Ballaugh Bridge, just to the back of the main drag through the town, the railway ran alongside the road, and there was an abandoned bridge, the track had been lifted, and we used to take our lives in our hands crossing it to get to better viewing points ;).

Thanks mate, you've rekindled some great memories for me :thumbs:. Cheer's, Pete.       

Thanks Pete; glad this stirred up happy memories for you. The Isle of Man is always a pleasure to head to, and the charming rail systems are a delight to behold.

The canopy at the station isn't to everyone's taste, but it's there nonetheless. There's been a lot of change to the station over the years, and not all of it is sympathetic.

I've also done the Groudle Glen and Manx Electric Railways; got photos of those coming up, so stay tuned!



____________________
David Hennessey

General Manager of the Fablewood Railway Company, est 2015
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: 2 Aug 2017 22:38
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Toto
Founder


Joined: 4 Dec 2015
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 6983
Status: 
Offline
Hi David,

Great to hear from you again and thank you for posting up these terrific shots. Loads of character these engines have. In pristine condition as well. :thumbs:

Toto



____________________
Sometimes I wish the world was full of Norman Wisdoms. Chaotic ......... Yes, but a world where the sun shines on everyone
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: 3 Aug 2017 01:06
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
SMR CHRIS
Ozzy Rubber Gauger


Joined: 1 Jan 2016
Location: Central Coast NSW, Australia
Posts: 2206
Status: 
Offline
You can get some very nice models of these little Gems
1:19 Scale live steam for those nice days out doors or electric.
:scratchchin:

Attachment: IMG_5282.PNG (Downloaded 11 times)



____________________
Happy Modelling down under
Chris

My Current model railway topic link
http://platform1mrc.com/view_topic.php?id=227&forum_id=5
My Flickr photo album
https://www.flickr.com/photos/74212179@N05/
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: 3 Aug 2017 06:16
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
ed
Member


Joined: 6 Feb 2016
Location: West Anglia Main Line, United Kingdom
Posts: 778
Status: 
Online
Did somebody mention GEM and TT (scroll down a bit)

http://www.lytchettmanor.co.uk/lytchett-manor/narrow-gauge-loco-kits

Dunno if you can still get the chassis.

Great pictures David :thumbup:



Ed

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: 3 Aug 2017 10:21
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
David Hennessey
Member


Joined: 28 Feb 2016
Location: St Helens, United Kingdom
Posts: 145
Status: 
Online
Thanks for the comments fellas!



____________________
David Hennessey

General Manager of the Fablewood Railway Company, est 2015
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 09:16  
This topic is:  Home Page > Platform 1 Model Railway Community > The Prototype > Locomotives > Isle of Man Steam Railway (July 2017) Top





about cookie files used by this web site

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems