Discussion in 'Platform1mrc 2022 Loco Build Competition' started by Rob Pulham, Feb 3, 2022.
there's a picture of it in the glad instructions but i'm not there yet
In the words of a TV Judge...
A Maze Ing !
I really cannot get over your work. Brilliant !
Is he still around?
Yep CRH is still on on a sat and Sunday night with his miserable face and low scores
Ahh, I purposely don't watch anything on the BBC.
hello Rob , if you look at post 56 2nd picture you will see 2 slots in the rear cross member, the bracket fits in those, but my exhaust valve is w/metal
with two mounting pins so i might do as you suggest and drill/tap as it's not supposed to be there
I had worked out where it was meant to go, what I was struggling with was how to attach that bracket to the LG castings.
I got sidetracked yesterday so hopefully by the end of today I should have both injectors in place.
Well things have moved on somewhat since my last post. I did get the injectors fitted.
Then I moved onto the sandpipes which are almost the last bits for the chassis (unless I find something that I have missed. I say almost because there are also the bottom halves of the sandbox fillers to fit to the chassis, they are split at footplate level.
I started with the brackets which come as a hockey stick shaped etch. Looking at photos they need to be bent into handed pairs. where they fit around either side of the wheel.
Next in order to make the fittings for where they pass through the brackets and combine with the steam pipes I soldered two different diameter microbore tubes together.
I cut half a dozen lengths at 2.5mm and another eight at 1mm using a pin chuck a ruler and a piercing saw
I also created a hex on some thick walled tube to make nuts from. Again cutting lengths off with the piercing saw
From all the photos that I have, there are only six sand pipes fitted so I have two spare brackets.
In the photo below you can see the assembly order of the various bits of tube, bracket and nut. I will have to trim all the pipe ends to the same length
I forgot to add that I also managed to get the sand box filler pipe sections cut and fitted to the frames.
Superb crafting again Rob... I have all this to come on mine which hasn't been touched since I formed the hornblocks nearly a year ago now. Ah well one day those grey boxes will see daylight again.
At least they have seen daylight, I have had mine eight or more years and haven't managed more than occasionally having a sly peep...
This week has been about adding small details to the body work starting at the front, I added the smokebox door dart, and the handrail above it. The LMS design of handrail has the rail ending in a button at each end. I have heard of people making these from microbore tube but I didn't have any nickel silver tube so I put a short length of 1.4mm nickel rod in the lathe and drilled it out to fit over the handrail at either end and then fitted the rod into a pin chuck to chop of the appropriate length soldering on to the hand rail and filing to finish. From the photo I still have a bit of cleanin up of excess solder to do on the handrail knobs.
One detail that is quite prominent on the smokebox door but absent from the kit is the door latch. It is included in the GA reproduced on the front cover of the Wild Swan volume so I was able to import this into Fusion 360 not only to get the length and spacing of the handrail and knobs but also the outline and dimensions of the latch.
The latch itself was filed up from a strip of scrap etch which I doubled up at the thicker end to file to shape to accommodate the curve of the smokebox door.
The brass rod will be the stay which fits into the front ring. It's 2mm x 1mm bar and I popped it in a 1-2mm ER 25 collet to turn the spigot on the end. The fun bit will be soldering the latch onto the door. But more of that when I have achieved it.
Rob, could you not pin it into the door
Great minds think alike, that's probably the way that I will go with it
all this thinking i may have to lie down
same here Ken ... and I've got one from the same stable still to do.
Still plugging away at the small details but it's moving forward and that's what matters.
I got the top feed fitted to the boiler which in the period being modelled is domeless so one less bit to worry about. Then I added the covers for the pipework underneath and two circular covers on top of the boiler. - Since starting to post this I have re-read the instructions and realised that I have fitted the wrong etched covers under the top feed so they will have to come off and be swapped.
I still have the pipes to fit where they come out of the sides but as they disappear into the centre splashers I need to wait until the boiler is mounted to fit those.
Next I have been working on the front end of the footplate where there is a surprising amount going on and photos are invaluable here as the instructions are not that easy to follow.
Initially I fitted all the lamp irons the same way around but noted that the two outer ones are nfact reversed. Fitting the steps to the curve of the footplate was fun. The first one went into place really easy and first time. I tinned them and used the RSU from the back with the footplate on it's edge and clamped to the workbench to stop it moving away as I held the footstep in position. The second one took three or four attempts to get it in the right place...
Still much to do but we are getting there.