David Andrews Princess Royal - 6206 Princess Marie Louise

Discussion in 'Platform1mrc 2022 Loco Build Competition' started by Rob Pulham, Feb 3, 2022.

  1. Rob Pulham

    Rob Pulham Happily making models Staff Member Administrator Feature Contributor

    Messages:
    3,990
    Likes Received:
    4,368
    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2017
    Then I connected the loco and tender together and it immediately tripped out the controller and so I started a further round of troubleshooting. First I removed the bogie and after coffee I went back into our cloakroom where I have temporarily set up my test board. This room is west facing so gets sunlight mostly in an afternoon but it's below ground level as the path outside the window is cut into the embankment and so doesn't get quite as much natural light unless the sun is really high in the sky and it's late afternoon.

    Now one of the suggestions from Thursday nights meeting besides dig out the multimeter was to try hunting for shorts in the dark as sparks are easier to see. As I went in for further testing I forgot to turn the light on and so the room was a little gloomy. This proved to be a benefit, because as soon as I moved the bogie on it's own, I noted a spark which I wouldn't have seen with the light on. I noted that the guard irons were quite close to the rails and may have caused shorts on curves so they were adjusted and then further examination showed that I had fallen foul of the etched washer/hub insulation again. A further check of the trailing tuck revealed the same issue. I had a few spare insulated washers that I had turned when working on the tender but they proved to be too thick even after turning/milling down the axle bushes.

    I was initially going to make some up by using a hole punch to cut holes in some styrene sheet and then snip of /file them into circles. By good fortune a video that I had seen some time ago that was lurking in my memory surfaced on my Youtube feed. After rewatching it I decided to have a go at pressure turning a number of washers all at once.

    Now unless you want really big washers the process is a little wasteful because you need enough stock to hold onto to drill the centre hole. I chose to cut some 0.5mm styrene sheet into 20mm x 20mm squares aiming for a finished size of 10mm diameter. You also need some scrap to hold the parts and one of them becomes almost sacrificial.

    The first step is to grip the styrene squares between the two pieces of scrap material.

    1-IMG_1311.JPG
    Drilling blanks
    I used a 1" G clamp and a small engineers clamp to hold them all together to drill a 5mm hole through all the parts. This was to allow clearance on the 3/16 (4.7mm) axles. At this point you transfer the whole set up to the lathe before releasing the clamps.

    1-IMG_1314.JPG
    Setting up for pressure turning
    1-IMG_0001.JPG
    Pressure Turning Parts
    I created the above set up which consists of a 22mm piece of Delrin in the collet (I had to turn a stub down to fit in a 16mm collet which is the largest ER25 collet that I have). This had a 5mm hole drill partially through it. At the tailstock end is another piece of 22mm Delrin which has had a 60 degree cone turned in the back so that it fits on a live centre then a short section turned down to 10mm to allow the tool to clear the workpiece(s) again it has a 5mm hole through it. Then a length of 3/6 rod was passed into the hole in the mandrel in the collet chuck and the parts fed onto it, before removing the clamps. Lastly the live centre is wound tightly against the parts which squash and grip all the parts for turning and locked.

    The next step was to turn down the sacrificial scrap support until all the parts start to be turned. My sacrificial scrap was plastic which has a layer of aluminium either side of it and I found that the most depth of cut I could manage was 0.25mm per pass otherwise the parts started to slip. I started turning with a carbide tipped bit until it would no longer fit, then I changed to high speed steel grooving tool that I had ground for another job some time ago.

    1-IMG_1315.JPG
    Washers well on their way.
    1-New-Out99999.jpg
    Finished Washers
    One piece of advice given in the video was to make sure that you were using a sharp tool for the final pass to help prevent the tool from rolling the edges of one part over onto the next.

    [​IMG]
    Finished Washers
    These are the finished parts and they are all really crisp, aside from the one that was nearest the left hand piece of scrap which had a small burr around the edge (visible at the corner of the ruler). This burr was easily scraped off with a scalpel blade.
     

Share This Page