Kernow Bulleid 10203 - body removal for decoder fitting

Discussion in 'DCC Control' started by Jim Freight, Sep 13, 2019 at 6:22 PM.

Tags:
  1. Jim Freight

    Jim Freight Full Member

    Messages:
    30
    Likes Received:
    21
    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2019
    Just 4 screws, ok, done.

    Then gently prise the body from the chassis - hmmm!

    Before I do something expensively wrong.

    Although the sides appear to be free, gently does not seem to be enough, are there any lugs I should be aware of e.g at the ends?
     
  2. SRman

    SRman Full Member

    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    200
    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2015
    From opening my two some time back, I seem to recall the bodies took a fair bit of force to pull off. I cannot remember off the top of my head whether there were four screws or eight - just double-check that before using any force. Also, do not pull on the bogies to release the chassis from the body ... guess how I learnt that one.
     
    Jim Freight likes this.
  3. Jim Freight

    Jim Freight Full Member

    Messages:
    30
    Likes Received:
    21
    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2019
    Thanks, the instructions say 4 screws but I will check for more.

    I believe that bodies stick due to paint, it is still relatively soft (but touch dry) when the loco is assembled and any slight tackiness eventually causes the paint to act like an adhesive. When the contact length is along a loco or coach side it can take quite a bit of force to release it. I had that problem with another diesel recently, a Heljan Park Royal railcar/bus.

    Also the fine detail of the body sides and fittings to the chassis make getting a firm hold difficult and can result in repairing a multitude of fittings.

    I tried via the bogies but thought it was not a good idea.

    Thanks for your input I had seen your posts with these locos and thought you would be able to assist.

    Must go to bed now, had fun trying to get the CV's right for cab lights (and failed) on a Dapol Class 22 using a Hattons 21pin decoder, like Dapol no information on the Hattons site for their 6 function decoders, the Dapol site is even worse for their Imperium. I can live without cab lights ;).

    Ok, 02:16 BST here, thanks again, Jim
     
  4. SRman

    SRman Full Member

    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    200
    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2015
    Dapol's class 22: if it is the latest version, here is an excerpt from one of my posts in the Dapol class 22 topic on RMweb:

    "I succumbed to temptation and bought D6327 in blue with small yellow panels from Hatton's. I fitted a 6-function Zimo MX638D decoder after testing on DC. So far so good. She ran well with the Zimo decoder.

    I like the way Dapol have arranged the lights: F0 works the headcode plus marker or tail light directionally at the A end, F1 works the headcode and marker light at the B end, and F3 works the tail light at that end. However, the cab lights refused to work at all. Then I realised the MX638D uses two logic outputs for the 5th and 6th functions. However, a useful trick with the MX634 and MX638 families is that the user can change the logic outputs to full powered outputs with a simple CV change, changing the decoders to MX634C or MX638C. The trick is to program CV8 to 3 for powered outputs (as the 'C' variant), or CV8 = 4 for logic outputs (as the 'D' variants).

    Anyway, the cab lights at each end now work on functions 4 and 5, respectively."

    In short, you need to make sure those functions on the decoder you are using are what the locomotive requires. Having used the Zimo decoder myself, it doesn't matter, because the decoder can be easily reprogrammed to suit either requirement. Unfortunately, I don't think the Hattons decoder has that ability.
     
  5. Jim Freight

    Jim Freight Full Member

    Messages:
    30
    Likes Received:
    21
    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2019
    I bought the 22 D6325 in June 2018 just after it was released, yes, I have a backlog to catch up on ;)

    It's a downside of the Hattons 6 function decoder that they do not appear to have published data on it, only their 4 function decoders, apart from that I find their decoders a very cost effective for my modest DCC control requirements.

    The CV settings quoted in the 22 instruction sheet for the running lights work according to the instructions.

    I will probably have another go after a break, if not tough :)
     

Share This Page