Discussion in 'Specifically for scratch builds' started by Veers, Mar 6, 2018.
Ain't we all at some point!
And mostly finished, by which I mean I have painted it.
Things I have learnt:
1) Spray paint will be much better for the model.
2) Paint parts individually before installation.
3) Probably clean the parts, just to be safe.
4) Work on a better mockup model prior to cutting. My mockup left the roof to be desired, as it is off-centre by upto 5mm (Haven't measured).
5) Need better paints, this Salmon colour was the closest I could get to the requested Pink with White trim theme.
6) Forgot to install the guttering and additional trim.
7) This was a lot more fun, and not as difficult as originally envisioned.
8) Paint the underside of the roof...
So this has been my first attempt at scratch-building/modeling a building. It's been quite a bit of fun, not as difficult as I had thought. But I have probably constrained myself a little with the amount of materials I have had available, and forgot to add the trimmings, I haven't built up the verandah for it either. Won't be able to this weekend.
But with some additional touches (and a proper paint job), this will end up being a rather nice little building.
9) Undercoat with darker colour that may show through instead of the white.
10) Layered coats and weathering (later)
For your very first scratch buid, don't be too hard on your self. You should have seen my first scratch build...
Along the way you will have learnt new techniques, gathered some advice and you'll just expand your skills on what you have already completed. You have already identified where you could have done better and that is great. As the saying goes "If you have never made mistakes, you have never tried anything new..."
A great dvd (unfortunately out of production and not readily available) is from the Right Track Series (No.7) 'Building Buildings with Geoff Taylor'. A very helpful addition if you wish to learn more secrets of scratch building.
Hi Veers you've achieved what you set out to do. That is build an individual unique structure well done
To me that is the best part of scratch building, you have made something no one else has on their layout.
Well done mate.