Hi all, As mentioned on my Resurrection thread, I have a very limited experience of this technique. Possibly a little presumptuous to call it a 'tutorial', then... it's probably better billed as a 'shared voyage (not to say roller-coaster ride) of discovery', but having that as a forum heading would be a little odd! In fact, the one and only time I have attempted this was back in 2011, and I didn't even use salt - instead, I tried ground black pepper! One could argue that the results are even more hilarious than the very notion of using the stuff, but by way of a preface to this thread I will share the results. For a bit of background, at the time I was attempting a large-ish (on an 8x4ft baseboard) G-Scale diorama depicting a stretch of line crossing a disused canal. Intended primarily as a vehicle for displaying my figures when attending exhibitions, it sadly only ever appeared at one event, in an unfinished state. Part of my vision for the canal was for it to be silted up and rubbish-strewn. The fuel drum seen here was to be part of the rubbish, half-submerged in what remained of the water. The original item (cast in resin) was obtained from Black Dog Mining Co - very nice people they are to deal with too. So, firstly I painted the piece in a flat brown 'rust' colour: I then stuck a metal pin in the hole at the top and stuck the other end in a cork, thus to avoid touching it too much. I then coated the piece in dilute PVA, and rolled it in some ground black pepper - mainly because at the time I didn't have any rock salt! Well, necessity is apparently the mother of invention... Once it had dried, I sprayed the whole thing with my drum colour of choice - car primer yellow: Once it was dry, I started to knock off the lumps of pepper: Once done, I painted the top of the drum silver, and added a wash of a slightly different rust colour all over: I was quite pleased with the result at the time, but of course it remains to be seen what will happen when salt is used instead!