Hi all, having very recently upgraded my 'Scampington Goods Shed' thread to replace the Photo Bucks pictures with their Flickr equivalents, I thought I might add a new thread describing the creation of an engine shed using much the same techniques. As with the goods shed, I made this back in 2009. With some fencing mesh cribbed from a neighbour (who was happy to be rid of it) I made 2 of these: The mesh was bent by holding it in a 'Workmate' type bench and pushed over using a big plank to try and keep the bend even. So with 2 of those, and a couple of extra pieces made from the same stuff (wired together using brass craft-wire) I had this: When placed in its intended location: But what about walls, roof etc? Well, I had hoarded, for about 17 years, some old baby milk containers at the back of my garage. These were large, and the metal easily cut into 2 strips each about 3 inches wide with some decent tin-snips. These strips were then cut into roughly 4-inch sections, and hung on the framework (by cutting recesses into the strips where the vertical runners are, and bending the strip over the horizontal runners (with a small overlap all round) - thus: The wooden 'door frame' was an old piece of batten from somewhere under my stock cupboard, where I keep all the old 'rocket' sticks that regularly rain down on us in the month of November (and October, and December, and New Years Day, or whenever some little %$^& gets the notion to set off a firework around our way) - all good scratch-building/bashing material, and free to diligent collectors. I liberally coated the wooden pieces with some thinned fence preservative - obviously not creosote, cos that's illegal and I didn't want any letters from "Ambulance Chasers 4 U" acting on behalf of some hapless woodlouse that poisoned itself by taking a chunk out of my engine shed door frame... Here is further progress on the wall cladding from the other side: So, with all the walls clad, I had the opportunity to position the building back in place, to see how it looked: After that, a lick (or spray) of paint: I deliberately didn't completely coat the metal, as I wanted the rain to be able to get at it and gradually seed rust-streaks and patches over the sides, through the paintwork. This would hopefully give me the intended 'run-down, dilapidated' look. For the roof, I wanted a 'corrugated iron' look to it. I have a 'corrugating machine' but it flatly refused to touch even the soft steel of the baby-milk tins. So I went for another alternative - baked bean tins. These were stiffer to cut, but they do have a band of corrugation effect round their middle. Fortunately, I also had a secret stash of these, salted away under my stock cupboard next to the big old bunch of firework sticks. When cut and overlapped and glued and bent over the runners, they looked like this: The clamps were used to hold the pieces together whilst the glue cured. One minor casualty - me. Handy hint number 52: Always wear roofing gloves or gardening gloves or similar when cutting sheet steel, otherwise you too will end up with a hand looking like this: One half of the roof was complete: Note the rather cheap-n-cheerful 'roof vent'! All fashioned from bent tin cans... Then the other side: You can also see in this pic that I added a drip strip over the entrance. With the completion of the roof, the next stage was to get it back outside for a bit more spraying; here's the result, with the shed back in situ, and a very appreciative tenant already: With the addition of some doors, the thing was finished. The doors were made from gash trellis wood and firework sticks - the little access door was made from ice lolly sticks. The roof and walls were 'pre-weathered' with a wash of yet more thinned 'creosote substitute': And it seems to be to the liking of our resident U-class: All that was needed was for an exceptional British Summer to complete the weathering for me... One year later, and the desired effect was starting to show through: Of course, the neglect of the line as a whole over the past few years was also keenly felt here. This is how it looked a few months ago: With a bit of cutting back of vegetation, this was what was underneath: Now that's what I was after! Thanks for looking in!