Conversion/backdating of a Parkside BR Pipe Wagon to the LNER version

Discussion in 'Wagon Builds' started by Rob Pulham, Aug 21, 2020.

  1. Rob Pulham

    Rob Pulham Staff Member Administrator Feature Contributor

    Messages:
    1,963
    Likes Received:
    1,496
    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2017
    Doesn't time fly in the our world of modelling?

    Back in 2015 having been disappointed when I realised that the M&M Pipe Wagon wasn't built by the LNER despite being principally to an LNER design, and not wishing to tackle another anytime soon I looked at the Parkside BR Pipe wagon kit to see if it could be converted into an earlier version.

    Via a discussion on the Guild Forum Paul Bartlett, renowned wagon guru reckoned that it couldn't be done but being perverse I decided to have a go anyway (I had bought the kit by this time).

    As far as I could see I needed to remove some bodyside details and reinstate them and then change the brakes from Morton style to the LNER type with three V hangers.

    Below is a series of photos showing what I did.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    You can see from the scratch marks where I had to scrape of some bodyside detail.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    I had an LNER brake rod in my spares box but it wasn't long enough so I extended it.

    [​IMG]
     
    SMR CHRIS and York Paul like this.
  2. Rob Pulham

    Rob Pulham Staff Member Administrator Feature Contributor

    Messages:
    1,963
    Likes Received:
    1,496
    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2017
    To continue the story...

    I kept adding details until I got it to the priming stage.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  3. Rob Pulham

    Rob Pulham Staff Member Administrator Feature Contributor

    Messages:
    1,963
    Likes Received:
    1,496
    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2017
    Then came painting and transfers and a pipe load from Skytrex.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Finally it got some weathering and then it got popped to one side for some reason where it languished for the last 5 years..... As far as I could see when I looked at it a couple of weeks ago all it needed were a set of screw couplings.

    I had some rather nice cast brass SansPariel screw couplings in stock so I blackend a set and added them. I took a few photos and then popped it back in my display case.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    I have been meaning to post the photos since then but hadn't got around to it and when reviewing them I had a DOH!!! moment as I realised that I still hadn't finished it because I hadn't added the vacuum pipes. I added them this evening and aside from touching in the paint where the gluse has smeared it's finally complete - unless of course having had today's learning point I decide to repaint the solebars and headstocks in black......
     
    Keith M likes this.

Share This Page