Discussion in 'Specifically for scratch builds' started by York Paul, Sep 6, 2020.
Yep I'd agree... plaster when painted does have a superb sense of realism when painted
Also easy to customise each section (e.g. cracks, chips) without having to create new moulds.
need to get thinking about this one then... I've got the plaster of paris.
My late Dad always used to say "One volunteer is worth ten pressed men", you walked right into that one Andy!
Suggest may be a selection of widths maybe 1, 2 & 4 slabs wide, with a bit of an overhang allowing trimming for angles i.e. to cope with curved platform edges.
Quietly cracking on today marking out stone courses onto the laminates having fitted and fettled doors and windows on the waiting room, it took a bit of working out but now the sides and back walls can be treated similar and painting the stonework can commence proper. Right now I'm just experimenting with different techniques and its far from finished... I'll know when I feel happy with the finished look and colours... mortar pointing is currently highlighted with black powder and ink, it all looks a bit scratchy right now but its only the base tones.
And a block of wood shows us what it will look like with a platform added in.
Fantastic Paul. Immensely impressed. Doors and window frames look good!
thanks Andy, I think the idea of allowing the printed door / window units to "inset" behind a 0.20mm lamination at their edges works and in a way captures the way the real building looked. We will see this better once the correct ashlar stone colouring is toned in and picked out... the challenge being to attempt to make painted plastic appear like natural stone as opposed to something which has just been painted.
The printed water tank Braithwaite panels came today and so I was able to build the header tank up with a floor which fits snugly into the building.
Its starting to look something like now.
Very nice Paul
Looks mighty good when built.
Look forward to the paint version!
This last couple of evenings I've made a concerted effort to progress the water tank to a completion, the tank landing with fittings have been added along with the stone corbel row beneath the tank although these still need a tidy up with needle files. Next job is to get back on with the stone texturing to cover up all the raw plasticard before painting... I think this starts to look like it should.
Here is the tank landing deck along with associate plumbing... all top stuff for 18th Century engineering. The two pulley wheels carry a connection from the ball float to an external visual arrow indicator which displays the water level in the header tank.
Now the plumbing arrangement, from left to right inside the header tank:- the drain down outlet, the constant overflow pipe which maintains the maximum water level at all times, the swan neck pipe is the rising main and finally on the right is the feed pipe to the platform columns. On the real thing the water flow was constant coming from Rudyard lake via a two and a half mile cast iron pipe running along the canal feeder channel... a marvel of early Victorian engineering and akin to a huge lavatory cistern in the way it all worked. Well if it was in the real thing then it should also be represented in the model I say. Thanks for looking folks.
Platform side window now made up and temporarily fitted, another one to make on the yard side of the tank.
So no ball valve on the incoming water supply then Paul?
No the rising main fed a constant supply by gravity from Rudyard Lake and the overflow decanted water maintaining the maximum level in the header tank Keith, the water had to flow to stop freezing and frost. In the tank room below was a large open hearth fire which heated the metal underside of the tank and the feed and discharge pipes entered over a huge brick upstand block (like a very low support buttress) either side of the fire, these bricks when hot acted like a storage heater keeping the cast iron pipes warm at ground level.
Yesterday and today as start was made to building the final element on the Macclesfield platform, this small brick hut stook within a few feet of the water tank and may well have been a porters mess room as no staff facility existed on that side of the station. Anyway once this hut is complete I will be in a position to set the building spaces out proper and draw up the floor plan for the platform, this is something I've been holding back on so as to get as near correct as I can. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks I shall comence basboard and platform build for this part of the station... next job is to make the A52 road bridge... we have someone with a tape measure for that on the job already.
Lets just hope the Police don't take him away for acting in a suspicious manner on Morrison's car park.
Bet you weren't expecting that answer Keith
Really impressive build Paul, them glazing bars are really fine.
Yes it was clever Victorian engineering Paul... the tank acted in the same way as an overhead lavatory cistern so if you ever need hot water flushing in your loo you know what alterations to your central heating will have to be made.
Thanks for the comment ... the glazing frames were made of cast iron as I recall and the pointing channels were ultra fine.
The water tank has now mainly been completed... a load of Vallejo paints to colour up the stone have been ordered and a big thank you goes to Gary in Oz for supplying me the correct colour information.
Here is a loose mock up for the buildings on the Macclesfield platform just to show the context.