Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Rob Pulham, Jun 27, 2020.
I must admit doing the backhead is one of my favourite aspects of the build.
Beautiful work Rob. I’m looking forward to getting my 8F started as this is the one assembly I like to spend some time on.
Whose kit is the 8F? I must get mine over the line at some point.
It’s the one from Tower Models Rob, the DJH version.
You will have to get your MOK one finished now
It'll be good to see a comparison between the various manufacturers products. I have the MOK version and I'm sure a David Andrew's version as well. It looks like this kit has been well covered.
Rob I'm loving that backhead detail... top crafter
It's finally staring to look like a streamlined Coronation. Yesterday saw the completion of one of the most difficult bits of the build in my opinion and a lesson that I learned from the last one.
What am I talking about?
The front boiler band, strangely it's the only one that you have to fit as part of the build, the rest being cast as part of the casing.
Challengingly, this one has to be bent and shaped in several different planes to get it to sit down flush as it passes over the front of the loco and then of course you have to solder it to a great lump of whitemetal (or I suppose you could glue it, but that's a bit of an anathema to me).
Also fitted but not photographed yet is the base for the cab floor. The next job is the stainless steel beading that runs along the bottom of the valences. Or in the kit's case it's nickel but it will look like steel.
So the smoke box doors don’t open then?
I want to see the scratch made bacon and eggs on the fireman's shovel
Looking very nice Rob.
I can see what you mean about that boiler band. A tricky bit of forming to get right however you have managed I'd admirably.
The poor weather here gave me the opportunity for a good day at the bench yesterday so I made good progress with the body details.
The first job was the stainless steel trim that runs along the bottom of the valance at each side.
Each side is in three pieces made more challenging by the casting attached to the side valance which you have to pass the strip over. Again as they go along they need to be bent in several planes but not in my view as difficult to achieve as the front boiler band.
Then it was making up the front steps and fitting them and other details. Still to go on the front are small semi circular hand rails and lamp irons. To be fair they take very little fitting but drill the holes in the thick pewter casting is a pain because I have to drill them by hand as experience has shown that trying to use a power drill is just asking for broken and difficult to remove drill bits.
I am still beavering away on the Coronation and today saw the tender complete. Some of the bit's are just placed for the photos.
Still to fit on the body are handrails and the sandbox fillers and the chassis mounting blocks.
Hopefully they will be completed tomorrow.