Scenic alterations- using my competition prize culverts.

Discussion in 'Scenics' started by Keith M, Nov 16, 2019.

  1. Keith M

    Keith M Staff Member Moderator

    Messages:
    2,971
    Likes Received:
    1,108
    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2015
    Having received my 4mm scale size culvert competition prizes, I decided to set about incorporating them into my existing layout scenery, not always an easy prospect, as it's mostly 'finished' if that's the right description. I have a dam wall with overflows to a river below, and I decided this would likely be the best (and probably the only) location where it might fit in, so after a bit of thought and measuring, I started hacking things about a bit. Trees were removed from each side of the river bank, and cuts made into the existing scenic banks to accommodate each culvert, the idea being that they are used to divert flow in times of heavy rainfall (just like we're experiencing now in Derbyshire!). My scenery is constructed from polystyrene blocks glued to the baseboard (9mm ply) and coated with my usual scenery plaster, which is Wickes (other brands are doubtless available) plaster coving adhesive. I use this for 2 reasons, firstly I have some left over from fitting coving, and secondly I find that it's workable for longer than standard Plaster of Paris or similar, so more time to get it how you want. The culverts are pushed into place at this point, and alterations to the river bank sides both above and below each culvert will be needed to blend things in.

    IMG_2610.JPG
     
    jakesdad13, Toto and York Paul like this.
  2. Keith M

    Keith M Staff Member Moderator

    Messages:
    2,971
    Likes Received:
    1,108
    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2015
    It's obvious that I'll need to add more 'bank' above each culvert and probably trim a bit off below. Both culverts are now glued in place, and I'll need to be careful with the plaster so as not to get it all over the culvert mouldings themselves, since I don't want to make a mess of Paul's efforts or create myself more work than I need to. My 'River' itself is made by several different colour coats of acrylic art paint followed by several coats of clear yacht varnish, the weir towards the front was built to help disguise the fact that this board (which is situated above my loft access) can hinge downwards, the back edge being the 'break point' at the board edges where it hinges downwards. This is the left side culvert, which will need some addition to the bank above, with blending in below.

    IMG_2662.JPG
     
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    jakesdad13 likes this.
  3. Keith M

    Keith M Staff Member Moderator

    Messages:
    2,971
    Likes Received:
    1,108
    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2015
    The 'weir' idea was the only way I could think of to disguise the boards hinge edge. I think (hope) it looks convincing enough, the break in the scenery to each side is concealed by the tree 'plantation', after all, trees are normally used as a cheap way to stabilise river banks, and my layout is set in the late 50's/early 60's probably before the invention of Gabions which would likely have been used nowadays, so it works for me! This is the right hand bank with culvert fitted, again some filling in and blending will be needed, and then some painting and varnishing to blend overflow water into the 'river'. Next will be the messy plaster bit!
    Keith.

    IMG_4141.JPG
     
    jakesdad13, Gary, Ron and 4 others like this.
  4. Andy_Sollis

    Andy_Sollis Full Member

    Messages:
    1,284
    Likes Received:
    1,250
    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2018
    Looking good there Keith. Fits in quite well.
     

Share This Page