Discussion in 'Kits, Kit bashes & Scratch builds' started by SBt, Dec 25, 2018.
Steve, any chance of a picture of the cab structure from underneath please.
Yes will do - just forgot to do it!
Today I started on the most awkward part of the kit - the cooling group shutters. These are made up from a single frame that is rolled round with a 1/2 etch recess to the outside. The the slats are added. The hardest bit is keeping it square. Also the frame overlaps at the top and will need to be trimmed back. You can use the appature in the cooling group to form it. In fact this whole assembly went together in about 15 mins. It was harder to clean the solder off the recesses than build it. However I did find I had to open out the appature a bit to take the frame.
Before fixing the overlap was trimmed (Allthough needs a quick file) and the lovres in the door for the motor blowers where sweated in place in the usual way.
A fiddly job out the way with just a bit of a clean up left.
Hi Steve ,
Just a wee reminder for the shot of the underside of the cab build.
Pssst Steve ... we need STL files for Class 26 / 27 bogie brake cylinders and sandboxes too and ASAP if this is going knock the spots off onlookers... not to mention put Mr Mountain's whiplash tongue back in place.
OK OK I was out watching 'Stan and Ollie' Tonight - you'll get them in the morning.....And don't worry about James Molehill I've already told him to go forth and multiply to his face....
I'm thinking of going to see that myself ...... any good.
Haha nice one Steve but I was thinking more of Mr Motormouth and his mountain railway. Anyway sorry to trouble you and thanks for that... if those STL's get to our Technical Office in Dundee then this loco and t'other one will be something special to see. thanks again for that.
Oh that guy I don't think I know. And the film - thouroghly recomended....
Clocking on a here's a view of the cab from the underside. Very simple wrap over. Only thing here is to ensure the fire alarms face the right direction - they are different. Next you will see how it's attached to the Platform. The bogie stretcher has not been fixed at this time and won't be until the floor is added at the end.
Now the next step is really optional. That is the skeleton that helps line up the PUH and Cooling group. You don't really need it and it can distort as seen in the final picture. It's mde up by adding the roof ribs then one bulkhead to position it. I didn't solder a nut inside the bogie stretcher like I should have so will need to trim the bottom brace away, howver you can see how it works. More bulkheads can be added later.
And a bit more work while I wait for some resin to arrive. The exciter covers have a handrail recess which I forgot to add so I bent a bit of spare brass and poped it in place.
Then I added the grills to the PUH and mated it with the cooling group. Begining to look a bit more like a 15 now.
Many thanks Steve,
Your photos have let me understand things more clearly. A great help. Thanks for posting them up.
Bit more progress tonight after a bit of a break and an hours work involved removing the rear housing and re-aligning. If you compare the two pics from the one previois you'll notice the cab does not sit straight - there's a gab. I rectified that and it looks a bit better but for some reason the roofs don't line up correctly. I'll look at that.
Battery boxes where added and I placed the ends in position to check. They'll be attached later. Bit more soldering to do still.
Coming along though Steve. The ends need some work. Can't see them too clearly but as they stand, don't look quite right.
Keep it coming though.