Discussion in 'Members Personal Layouts' started by Andy_Sollis, Feb 26, 2019.
Great to see the trains running Andy.
Thanks. Completed the inner line today. Will post up details tomorrow.
Next task is lift all the track inside the big shed where the station and engine shed will be to cork it all out. Relay the track (in the power feeds ) and the start fitting the peco turn table. Still not decided on its power yet. As it’s close to the base board edge, may opt for a handle on the front, or I may power. We have decided to go old school and keep points on switches rather than going DCC, so I may look at making a signal box type lever frame as my son will also enjoy it.... no interlocking sadly. That’s beyond me... then it’s the scenics.
And so after just two hours, the second “down line” was in place and commissioned.
Interesting to note that in 4 years (yeah we really didn’t do much! ) how the old track has left it’s mark when lifted.
So with the new parts in place, we started some test trains..
The class 108 on the down line.
An unusual pairing of a class 33/1 on some MGR’s.
It’s about 57 foot, which dad says is just under a scale mile.
Now back to the station to lay the cork.
That’s all for now folks.
So the issue of the roof has persisted, we were not sure where the water was getting in or how... so we opted to fit a new roof cover. I lifted the old felt this morning and then rubbed it back.
We found that two timbers, not surprising where the tacks were was the fault. It’s split them and they are 40% damp on the meter so we are allowing it to dry out on the inside. (Fan heater on standby)
Yes it looks wet and you can see the crack at the end.
Anyway, onwards, put the new rubber roof in place, rolled back and glued.
It’s started raining so the main bit is down in time. Need to return and glue the edges and then trim as I’m sure you will notice the excess on the front and far end.
Here though you can see both sheds and the loop under the canopy. (Also note the neighbours roofing felt also lifting )
Anyway, we have done some running today.
Back to the roof..
Hello Andy, I have just caught up reading your thread. The out and back loop looks great and it’s nice to see that you have managed to do some test runs.
I hope you get the roofing problems sorted, I look forward to seeing your layout build progress.
Thank you Mark. Hopefully the roof is now sorted (just the fascia boards to reaffix)
The only issue we are finding on the test trains is the slight voltage drop at the far end. We have managed to run 3 trains today (Alex had one and Grandad and I had one each) to see how the controller coped. Back to laying the engine shed soon and building that up
Andy I will be watching with great interest.
I'm guessing that the grass visible in the shed roof pic is the artificial variety. That will be my next 'project', meaning no more lawn mowing!
Yes the part in front of the shed is the plastic artificial grass (sat on decking which was slippery when wet) but further up where the daughters trampoline is, it is real grass,
So it was time for a different service today. Those following my other threads with the PAA sand hoppers will recognise the wagons in the photos. Hauled by the Heljan British Industrial Sands Class 07 003 loco.
Running the Heljan 07 with my converted Hornby PAA (nee PGA) wagons
Class 33/1 on the Pushpull service with the 4Vep
Class 73 on the loco hauled 4VEP
Andy is great to see some trains running. I really like your converted Hornby wagons.
The kit is available from Shapeways (search NB3DM) along with my other items. It uses a Hornby PGA wagon as a donor)
Thanks Andy for the information.
katie makes a run for it
Nice extension Andy and I like the colour you (your mother) has painted the posts. Very aesthetic indeed !
I suspect it was left overs..
But you never know. It doesn’t detract.