Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Andy_Sollis, Jun 27, 2020.
Looking really good Andy... Loving the details you are putting into this model.
There is a few bits in another post of the “one I did earlier”... just search on “PAA” in the threads.
Thanks. I realise I’ve actually missed a bit. But I think only I will know about it.
Looking good Andy
Thanks. Hopefully more work this week as we now have the Sons birthday weekend over. Now on “leave” from work for 11 days so see what SWMBO comes up with!
About time for another instalment. Work had stalled again, but mainly as I’ve been working on other projects. This afternoon the conditions seemed right for starting the next step, painting the chassis. Masked it all up... the modelling tape must be getting old as it didn’t seem to want to stick. It’s left a few patches where it’s moved and allowed the paint to blow through. I may need to see if I can invest in some more before I do the white, and hope it doesn’t pull the black off..
anyway, on to the photos. I used a blank insert inside - although the model was designed and printed else where, I did have a plan to create the earlier single door model but I could never quite get it to print, so this was a cancelled hopper body. It just stops the paint going any further.
drying (well it had been in the airing cupboard for 30 mins before I brought it out to remove the tape)
well the black looks ok. We can take the inset out now.
Had a slight casualty on the way. May take it off and resecure later.
it’s quite evident where the masking failed (I wasn’t worried about the ladder going black)
Back with the hopper top.
other end needs a little cleaning up.
It’s also blown on to the top surface of the wagon chassis. Not to worries about this, as may become part of the final weathering like they do on these model planes where they blown dark colours in to the panel lines.
well, I’ll give this a few days to harden then look at starting the top colours (white or... white..)
So much detail Andy .... how does it bear up to handling. I'd be scared to pick it up.
Not an easy model to paint Andy, but I’m sure any minor errors will be hidden with some weathering. Looking forward to seeing this one finished off
To be fair, the main hopper is rock solid, being FDM printed. The Shapeways details are superglued on and are mainly protected from knocks.
The chassis is strong as it’s the flexible white from Shapeways, but it’s a slightly rough surface. Again it’s sting, but light weight.
However, combine the two and the wagon is around the same as a normal wagon - there is a small space in the discharge hopper bottoms where I could add some further weight, but to be honest, once the wheels were in on the first model I made, it didn’t really need it.
The only delicate part to watch for is those release handles that I’ve added on the bottom of the chassis. I’ve already pinged one off in two halves but managed to find it on the carpet and glue it back. It’s actually straighter now than when it arrived .
once the hopper and chassis are glued it becomes a very rigid wagon.
I may do some things in a different order come the third one.
see what happens re doing a 4th. (Single door top)
only one is mine (completed) this one of for my friend who I assisted with in preserving the real wagon, and the third for display in the museum.
Fantastic detail. Well done.
Thank you. I can’t take credit for all
Of it. Some was by the original designer SimonBRBlue - I’ve just added some finer detail that had been missed. I’ve also had the added bonus in looking after the preserved article thus getting the chance to crawl over it with a tape!
I'm curious to see how you will install the wheels and axles mate. On most, if not all, my O gauge wagons whether kit built or rtr I can't get the wheels in or out without breaking the W irons, I've tried.
They have bearings and there is sufficient flex.
All mine have bearings, it's just the length of the axle end that fits into the bearing I have had trouble with. Unlike 00 axles that have a pinpoint end and scale for scale don't need the w irons or axle boxes to flex as much, the ones one mine when I have tried to remove them, need the w irons to flex quite a way and they tend to bind as the bearing flexs out of line. I know others have done it but it remains a mystery how to me.
Any way, its great modelling Andy, looking forward to seeing the finished result!!
I’m still having issues with masking. I don’t know if it’s the material the model is made from or what, but the blue scotch tape also fails to adhere to the black paint now, so not sure how I’m going to do it.....
I thought it’s about time I progressed with the chassis after leaving it a few weeks.
so, with the masking best i could get it, it was off to the turntable and card board box in the loft for a quick prime... that ran out just as I finished..
so left it to dry for a short while and thought may as well crack on with the top coat.
you may make out some small bleed through the tape edge. Never mind, this can soon be blacked over again.
The ladder end looks much better with a second primer and top coat. The ladder is no longer black!
the other side. Mainly above the brake wheel and over the buffers but oddly I have some underside?
and the other end (with the brake res behind)
Back with the top on..
Best buy some more paint to do this now!
quite pleased with it so far. Will be able to fit wheels soon.
A little annoyed as I forgot the lamp brackets!
Right. Back to the laundry!
Another 40 mins last night completing pipe work. There are two air filters/distributors on the sides of the wagon. One on the end for the Top doors and one on the side for the discharge doors. Both needed feeds from either side. The one for the discharge doors simply runs below the chassis.
However, the top door one runs back to one of the operating handles.
These will be painted (guess what, it’s white!) when the top goes for painting hopefully later today.